Electricity safety tips for solar technicians, electricians and everyone
Ever since Electricity was discovered in 1752 by Benjamin Franklin and developed further by Michael Faraday, it has arguably been the biggest invention of the millennium, powering economies and accelerating the second industrial revolution at an alarming rate, the advantage of electricity is so enormous that virtually every appliance we use is powered by it.
Although some argue that Conventional electric systems are less energy efficient than solar and heat pump systems, and generating electricity from fossil fuels produces greenhouse gas emissions. As well as the environmental costs, rising electricity prices also provide an incentive to seek more efficient energy sources which solar and other renewable forms of electricity provide, but these concerns will be dealt with later.
From all indications, Electricity is an invention that will stay with man for a long time to come and in dealing with electricity, there are basic safety tips which needs to be adhered to.
DO NOT TOUCH A PERSON OR AN ELECTRICAL APPARATUS IN THE EVENT OF AN ELECTRICAL INCIDENT: The human body conducts electricity, when any part of the body receives electric shock, the tissues will conduct them through out the body with no obstructions, causing difficulty in breathing, being unconscious, a weak pulse or no pulse at all , cardiac arrest or even death
USE CIRCUIT BREAKERS TO AVOID DAMAGE TO APPLIANCES: A circuit breaker is an automatically operated electrical switch designed to protect an electrical circuit from damage caused by excess current from an overload or short circuit. Its basic function is to interrupt current flow after a fault is detected, having a circuit breaker will save you a lot. Better to blow up a fuse than to blow an inverter.
DO NOT USE OUTLETS OR CORDS THAT HAVE EXPOSED WIRING: Exposed wiring may cause injury due to electrical shock, fire or electrocution. A plug or electrical cord should not have exposed wiring. Exposed wires present a danger of electric shock or electrocution. Using an open front plug poses the risk of contact with live wires when plugging it to a electrical outlet. It is advised that all wirings be finished and sealed before use.
DO NOT TOUCH SOCKETS WITH WET HANDS : water contains impurities and those impurities are what conduct electricity, touching your electrical sockets with wet hands will cause the risk of electric shock that maybe dangerous for your health.
While the list is not exhaustive, care should be taken when handling electrical equipment or better still call the attention of a Wavetra engineer to handle your electrical problems to avoid coming in touch with the consequence of mishandling electrical faults.
Written by John Onuora (Wavetra Energy).
LIKE our page below to get our PROMOs first and see renewable energy related information first.